Sunday, September 9, 2012

Clean Meals

So the idea of eating clean is to combine lean protein and complex carbs at every meal. Each meal is usually 200-300 calories, and you eat 5-6 meals a day.
Here are some examples of clean things to eat:
 
 
This is my breakfast almost every morning. Oatmeal with cinnamon, blueberries (frozen) and a little bit of banana. And then for the protein I have one whole egg and one egg white, either scrambled or "fried." Today I added mushrooms to my eggs, if you're wondering what that is. Breakfast is often my largest meal. Oatmeal and eggs are really filling.
 
 
 
 
 
This is a typical clean dinner. Chicken with just spices on it, sweet potato, veggies. Yum.
I like onion powder and garlic powder on my chicken and vegetables. I should also add that both of the plates in these pictures are salad plates, not a regular sized ones. I like using smaller plates to keep my portions smaller.

 
 
 
Here are just a few examples of clean meals and snacks:
 
 --Breakfast burrito:  1 egg and 2 egg whites, veggies, spices, wrapped in whole wheat tortilla
 
--Eggs (scrambled or fried) on whole wheat toast
 
--Kashi Cereals:  I like Go Lean Crunch and Go Lean Crisp a lot. These are great because they have complex carbs and protein in them. Most cereal have little to no protein. Go Lean Crisp is my favorite. Costco sometimes sells it. I also prefer almond milk instead of cow's milk. That's just my preference. Almond milk is cool because it's low calorie and still has lots of calcium.
 
--Tuna wrap: mix tuna with a tiny bit of light mayo (which is not clean...oops), sliced grapes, walnuts, celery etc and put it in a whole wheat pita, tortilla, or on bread. It's like chicken salad.
 
--Whole wheat spaghetti: I use a healthy spaghetti sauce and add veggies and ground turkey
 
--Turkey burger: ground turkey mixed with onions and spices, cooked on the stove, and then add tomato, lettuce and avocado on top and put it on a whole wheat bun
 
--Stir Fry: chicken, veggies and brown rice (use a small amount of low-sodium soy sauce)
 
--Cottage cheese + a pear or peach
 
--Apple + almonds
 
--Greek yogurt + some fruit or veggies or Kashi cereal on top
 
 

6 comments:

mom said...

How many grams of protein should one aim for each meal. When I eat my steel cut oats (7 grams) with 1 cup skim milk (8grams) that equals 15 grams of protein. Your meals look/sound very healthy and delicious. So ice cream and cookies aren't considered clean? Bummer.

Jenny said...

Thanks for posting these Ashley! What a great idea to use a salad plate to help with portion size. I'm gonna give this a try!

Ashley C said...

I try to shoot for at least 10 grams of protein per meal, but most of my meals have more like 15-20 grams. The smaller meals (snacks like apple and almonds, or cottage cheese and fruit) will not have as much protein. A breakfast with 15 grams is great, so I think your steel cut oats + milk is a great choice. I guess the goal for women is about 40-50 grams total for the day. I don't keep track of any of that though.
I'm gonna send you the book. I love it. I love the fact that it's not fad-ish at all. I don't see any way that eating fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein will go out of style. It's hard to eat really healthy, but I hope I can just make it a habit.

Ashley C said...

Yeah, unfortunately ice cream and cookies aren't clean. Lame, huh? Those are my two favorite things ever, but all they've done is made me chubby.

Ashley C said...

You're welcome, Jenny!

mom said...

You are right about this will never go out of style. Kind of like the word of wisdom.