Monday, July 25, 2011

Less than 2 weeks!

Our Half-Marathon is in 12 days! I'm pretty excited for it. It's so fun to have friends to run it with! Last Saturday (the 16th) we ran 12 miles. It went really well. I never thought I would run 12 miles in my life. The last 2 miles were really hard for me, and I was just praying for the energy to keep going. I was so proud of myself when I reached the end.

Running increases self-confidence more than anything I've done in my life. When you've been running for 10 miles and your body is begging you to stop, but your mind keeps you going to the end, you feel like you can do anything. I've been surprised at how much of running is really about mental strength and endurance, not just physical. The thing I have loved the most about running is the opportunity it has given me to prove to myself that I can do hard things. In everyday life, I don't get a lot of opportunities like that. I guess that's because I avoid things that are hard. :)

I hope that I keep setting goals with running, so that I don't ever stop being active. I think I will sign up for a 10K after this Half-Marathon. And then maybe I'll do another Half-Marathon next year.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I'm so excited for you. You're going to love it! You and I have a very similar relationship with running. And by very similar I mean identical.

Leslierush said...

Wow I'm so proud of you! I can't imagine running 12 miles!!! I'm stoked when I run just 3. Yay for you!! Huge accomplishment...so cool!