Sunday, March 22, 2009

"Clean" Meals

I just thought I'd share a few of the things I've been eating lately. At first I really thought that Eating Clean would not be very pleasant because typically, foods that are super healthy are not as tasty. But I have discovered a lot of really healthy foods that are also delicious.


BREAKFAST:

Option #1: Oatmeal

Not the instant kind. I make it with cinnamon, vanilla, flaxseed, a little bit of honey, and frozen berries from Costco. It is really good! And a serving of plain oatmeal is 150 calories for a large bowl.

Option #2: Oatmeal Pancakes

These are really good and healthy. I put applesauce and berries on top instead of syrup. It really is good. I promise. I made some changes to the original recipe, so here is my version. I think its better. :)

INGREDIENTS
1/3 cup all-purpose flour and 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 cup quick cooking oats
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk mixed with about 1 TB lemon juice (equivalent to buttermilk)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 egg
1 tsp cinnamon

DIRECTIONS
Place everything in a food processor and pulse until pretty smooth.
Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/3 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot. (With applesauce on top.) I also did some with bananas and blueberries in the mix! Yum!




LUNCH:

Option #1: Whole Wheat Pita with Tuna Salad

I make a tuna salad with Albacore tuna, chopped celery, a couple sliced grapes, dried cranberries, nuts, and a little bit of Miracle Whip.


Option :2: Light Egg Salad with Whole Wheat Pita or Bread

Here is the Egg Salad recipe.

DINNER:

Option #1: Stir Fry with Chicken, brown rice, and veggies from Costco

Self explanatory


Option #2: Salmon with brown rice and veggies

Costco has pretty good prices on Salmon. We make it with Johnny's seasoning, lemon juice, dill, etc. There are lots of good recipes out there.

5 comments:

Christina said...

Thanks for this post Ashley! I'm going to try those pancakes this weekend!

rachele and jordan said...

I looove good old fashioned oats for breakfast. One thing I like to put in my oats is canned peaches (I just get the sugar free kind.) It's really quite tasty. I eat oats pretty much everyday so I have to mix it up a bit.

Matti said...

Sounds delicious! Looks amazing.

Meg said...

I like your meal plans. I used to do the oatmeal, need to get back to that. I liked putting wheat bran on it too for some extra goodness. You should read the "Eating for life" book that is the meal plan book for body for life. He has some really great meal options that I really like. Everything that I've made out of that book Trent has liked, even though it's been super healthy.

Emily Alexander said...

Thanks for the ideas and recipe Ashley. I've started eating oatmeal lately too and I like it:)
I'm going to make those pancakes soon.