Friday, April 17, 2009

Getting back on track

The past few weeks I've been slowly losing my motivation. I haven't been thinking much about my food choices. Now I'm miserable. Maybe that word is a little dramatic, but my clothes are all tight and I have like 2 outfits that I feel comforable in right now. I currently weigh 10 lbs more than I did in December.

Up until December I was doing really well with counting calories everyday and working out 4-5 times per week. I got down to a weight that I hadn't been since I was about 16. Then I got pregnant and developed a fear of exercize. Even though I knew it was irrational, I was afraid that I would somehow hurt the baby if I worked out too hard and I didn't know exactly what "too hard" was. So I stopped working out completely and stopped counting calories as well. Then the holidays came around and I pigged out. The next thing I knew, I had gained 10 pounds and I wasn't even past the first trimester. After my miscarriage in January (which was obviously not caused by exercize) all I was left with was FAT. No baby. Just fat. Thanks.

During the first few weeks of this blog I lost about 5 pounds by counting calories and exercizing. Then I stopped counting calories and started Eating Clean. I still believe that Eating Clean is the best way to eat, but I am a person who needs some limits. Counting calories has always worked for me. It helps me to know how I'm doing all day long and it keeps me focused. I can still have some treats, but that might mean that I have to stop eating by 7 pm or so if I've used up all my calories for the day.

So I am back to counting calories, but I will be doing my best to Eat Clean (natural, unprocessed) as well. Some people think counting calories is such a pain and so restrictive, but it works. You might think you're not eating that much, but when you right it all down and add it up its a real wake-up call. So that's my plan for now.

I know how to lose weight. I've done it before. It just comes down to making sacrifices. Its hard, but I know its worth it. But its still hard. Really hard. But its worth it. (If you can't tell, this entire post has basically been a pep talk for me.) So really... I'm gonna do this. Really.

PS. This is a good website for tips and motivation: http://oxygenmag.com/index.php

5 comments:

stef j. said...

i LOVE counting calories!!!! seriously, it's so invigorating ... hehehe

what's your daily calorie goal?

Stephanie said...

Yes I am from Bakersfield and I'm so glad you liked it there. It's a good place. We get to visit this summer and I'm excited! Way to get back on track too. I know it can be hard. At least it is for me sometimes.

Shannon said...

I'm glad you have something that works for you. That's so great. Of course it's nice to try new things and hope they work out, but really if there's something out there that has worked for you before, just do it again! Good for you! It's so hard for a lot of people to lose weight even when they're eating next to nothing and exercising all the time, so it's a blessing that you know you can and you know how to do it! Yipee! Good luck.

Julie said...

i've decided it's going to be hard to get 'back on track' after my baby is born. i've got to completely change my mindset! anyway, you should check out 'stroller strides' to see if they have it in your area. my sis does it and LOVES it! she's totally gotten fit all while being outside with her son and gotten to know lots of friends. google it :)

Matti said...

You are right. It's hard but it's worth it. I need a good pep talk as well. I have tried counting calories a time or two. I thought I'd share with you this idea I once used, and it worked for me. I had 20 small magnets on my fridge. Each one represented 100 cals. Every time I ate 100 cals, I would move 1 mag to the other side of the fridge (if it was 50 cals I would move it half way over). It was kind of fun to slide them over for me. Then I didn't have to write things down. Just move the magnet since I was alreay in the kitchen. I also had a different set of 7 magnets representing water. Each time I filled up my glass that day, I would move one of those magnets. It doesn't have to be magnets of course. You could try a flip book on your counter or whatever...just a thought.