Monday, February 23, 2009

Update

Ok, eating the same thing everyday sucks, so I'm on to other strategies...
I've been doing not great in the diet area because somehow there have been lots of treats shoved in my face lately. Ok, maybe I'm the one shoving them in my face, but you get the idea. I eat healthy meals, but too many treats.

On a more positive note, I've been keeping up with weight training and running, and I'm actually starting to like it. Running is definitely getting easier. I run for about 30 minutes, and then walk for 20. Running is such a great workout. I can tell it's really effective. I'm going to keep it up, and I think I will enjoy it more and more.

In the healthy diet department- I have been eating a bit too much, but I'm also starting to adopt the Eating Clean lifestyle, which I really think is going to change things for the better.

First of all, I've started eating a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, and I think its a great idea because it really does keep you full for a long time. The author of the book is all about oatmeal for breakfast. Its really healthy, and low-calorie, and you can mix it up by adding different fruits and stuff. I have to admit, it was hard for me to give up cereal for breakfast. My favorite cereals are Special K with Strawberries, Multigrain Cheerios, and Honey Bunches of Oats with Cinnamon, which are pretty good choices, but just not as good as oatmeal. The only real problem with cereal is that it doesn't keep me full for very long at all. So now I really feel like I'm starting my day the right way.

For dinner I've been making Stir Fry, with lots of vegetables, chicken, low sodium soy sauce, and brown rice. I really enjoy it, and it is very healthy.

So if I could stop eating treats, things would be great. Still working on that.


8 comments:

Leslierush said...

keep the chicken out of your stir fry and BAM thats like 100 or more calories gone. Just sayin. =) I know I'm annoying!!!

Ashley C said...

No chicken = No protein = Hungry 5 minutes later

Leslierush said...

you could try adding nuts to your stirfry. Not saying you have to take out the chicken but i love peanuts in stir fry or almonds or pine nuts. I buy tofu occasionaly for certain recipes but your right...its not my favorite. I love it in the pad thai i make. Really though I feel like with all your working out you shouldn't even worry about losing 5 lbs cus your gonna tone up and look really good wether you lose 5 lbs or not.

Christina said...

Have you tried eating salad for lunch each day? I know it sounds BORING but I've been doing it at least 4 days a week for a year and it's pretty good. You can change up dressings and toppings like: feta, cranraisins, avacado, manderines, cheese, egg, ham, chicken, almonds and so much more! It helps to get lots of veggies in and because it's crunchy it takes you a while to eat it and fills you up!

Are you into Tofu? It can be a subsitute for chicken....

Matti said...

Eat 'em on saturday. ;-)

Matti said...

Promise. I gained 50 lbs while pregnant with Eden and lost 60 by doing this....plus working out like a maniac. But I sure enjoyed my treats on saturdays.

Matti said...

I can't remember exactly what your question was... but yes. I ONLY ate treats on saturday, and it was hard at first, cause I ALWAYS want treats. But I'm not satisfied by eating "fake treats" ie: low cal jello, sugar free yadda yadda. I'm kind of an all or nothing type. Just try it one week. It's awesome to eat EVERYTHING you want come saturday, and it makes all the hard times you went through the week worth it. Sunday is a little hard to come off your treat over-load...but you can do it. Sometimes it would help me to write down all the treats I wanted. Then when saturday rolled around I would eat whatever I still wanted from my list. Usually by then I only wanted 1 or 2 things that I'd written.
So, yes... it is challenging. But I think any kind of diet is challenging at first. The cool thing too, is if I went to someones house for dinner and they made an awesome dessert I'd just ask if I could bring it home and explain that i only eat treats on Saturday. So you don't feel like they think you don't want it...it's just that you don't want it right then.

Matti said...

p.s. if you don't already have it...check Costco for Coach's Oats Oatmeal. It's soooo much yummier I think than normal oatmeal. It's just heartier.